About Plattsburgh Contingents
Some of the Specific Contract (2022-2026) Gains for Contingents
- Per the contract the following minimums are in place for adjuncts at comprehensive campuses, based on a 3-credit course (prorated). Fall 2023: $3,500, Fall 2024: $4,000, Fall 2025: $4,500, Fall 2026: $5,500
- Part-time academics who teach courses on multiple state-operated SUNY campuses can aggregate course-load to meet eligibility requirements for healthcare coverage.
- After three years or six semesters of continuous employment, part-time employees (academics and professionals) will be granted one-year term-appointments.
- After seven years of continuous appointment, full time qualified academic rank employees (e.g., Lecturers, Clinical Faculty, Research Faculty) at non-HSC campuses will be granted three-year term appointments
Data from Fall 2022
- Adjuncts and Lecturers make up 46% of the campus’s academic employees.
- 32% of our contingent academics have worked for this campus for over 10 years with no
- Since Fall of 2017 (5 years ago) there are 24 fewer Lecturers and 30 fewer Adjuncts on
Data from Fall 2021
185 out of 606 UUP represented employees are Contingents – that is 30% of academics and professionals on this campus.
25% of SUNY Plattsburgh Contingents have worked on campus for more than 10 years.
In fact 7% have been with us for more than 20 years!
Adjuncts and Lecturers by School:
- 60% in Arts and Sciences
- 34% in Education Health and Human Services
- 4% in Business and Economics
Resources for Contingent Members
UUP – CONTINGENT EMPLOYMENT RESOURCES https://uupinfo.org/resources/contingents.php
Part-time/Full-time Contingent Employees: Know Your Contract Rights and Benefits:
Contingent employment is defined by the UUP Constitution as any appointment for which continuing appointment or permanent appointment is not prescribed. At present, any contingent employee may be non-renewed or terminated without cause.
Contingent status, the lack of eligibility for continuing appointment or permanent appointment, derives from the SUNY Board of Trustees Policies. Contingent Academics are those full-time and part-time employees in “qualified academic rank.” This includes rank “held by those members of the academic staff having titles of lecturer, or titles of academic rank preceded by the designations ‘clinical’ or ‘visiting’ or other similar designations (BOT Policies, Article II, pg. 14).” Contingent Professionals are full-time and part-time employees who serve in professional titles listed in appendix A, B, and C of the SUNY Board of Trustees Policies.
Taken from the UUP Position Statement on Contingent Employment