A tentative agreement between UUP and New York State was reached on February 13, 2013. In a day-long meeting on February 15 UUP’s Negotiations Committee and Executive Board reviewed the tentative contract with President Phil Smith and the Negotiations Team and voted unanimously to send it to the membership for a ratification vote.
The full text of the contract proposal—with an article-by-article comparison of major changes— is being prepared and will be mailed to members’ addresses of record. Included in the mailing will be information on the ratification vote.
Highlights of the Tentative Agreement:
- Salary increases starting in 2013 and in all subsequent contract years
- Service Awards for reaching career milestones (subject to continuation under Triborough)
- Maintenance of health benefits with employee premium share increase
- Increases in deductibles and co-insurance for out-of-network services under the Empire Plan beginning as soon as practicable after ratification
- Maintenance of drug co-pays for Tier 1 drugs; increases for Tier 2 and 3 drugs
- Elimination of co-pays for many yearly preventive care physical exams, screenings, tests, counseling, and vaccines
- Higher income eligibility level for Productivity Enhancement Program (exchange of vacation days for credit toward health insurance premium)
- Reinstitution of Labor-Management grant and other benefit programs
- Part-time employee time to term appointment reduced from 6 semesters to 4 semesters
- Expansion of eligibility for on-call/recall
- Procedural steps for Evaluation of Professionals put into Article 7 (Grievance Procedure)
- Additions to Appendix A-28 regarding performance programs and evaluations
- New class action grievance provision
- Ability to use 15 family sick days for adoption and foster care
- Deficit Reduction Plan for 9 days with 7 repaid at the end of the contract period
- Employee right to see unsolicited, signed letters in Personnel file
- Elimination of salary rank restrictions on eligibility for early permanent appointment
- Labor-Management commitment to discuss professionals titles and other issues, beginning with Information Technology
As negotiations proceed, UUP members will be kept informed through regular website postings, mailings from President Phil Smith, and articles in The Voice. Periodic updates and other information will be sent to chapter presidents for distribution via chapter websites, newsletters, fliers, and meetings.
Members are encouraged to periodically check the UUP website (uupinfo.org) for postings at the “Contract Negotiations” link on the home page. Feel free to contact UUP Chief Negotiator Jamie Dangler at email@example.com for further information or to submit questions or comments.