The American Federation of Teachers (AFT), UUP’s national affiliate with 1.6 million members, issued a strong call for “ending the exploitation of contingent faculty.” At SUNY New Paltz, fully half of the teaching faculty are contingents, with over 200 part-time adjuncts and some 70 full-time lecturers.
In a series of resolutions passed at AFT’s convention, meeting July 11-14 in Los Angeles, AFT demanded pay equity for contingents, including compensation for class preparation time and office hours. Further demands include:
• Equitable access to employee benefits;
• Access to and compensation for opportunities for professional development;
• Meaningful job security, including job security comparable to tenure, long-term academic appointment contracts or certificates of continuing employment, which guarantee the presumption of rehiring;
• Opportunities for career advancement, including conversion opportunities to full-time, tenure-track positions;
• Enforceable standards for the timely notification of teaching appointments;
• Protections for academic freedom, regardless of tenure status; and
• Full inclusion in and compensation for participation in all institutional work, including service, research and governance.